ADDIS ABABA- Earlier Monday, South Sudanese negotiators team had proposed $ 8.2 billion in financial transfers to Sudan in return for peaceful co-existence between the two Sudans and to resolve the status of Abyei, but the offer was rejected by Khartoum government.
The offer and its refusal come just days ahead of an African Union- and UN-imposed deadline calling on both sides to reach agreements on issues including oil transit fees, border demarcation and security by August 2.
Pagan Amum, South Sudan’s chief negotiator said, "what we have today is a final offer and a good gesture to our brothers in Khartoum since they suffer financial loses as a result of South Sudan's independent last year. Of course, we are facing a dateline and its up to us the two parties to make bold decisions so as to find an agreement." Mr. Pagan said earlier Monday before Sudan rejected the offer.
Khartoum government demanded $36 per barrel that includes tariffs and transit, processing and port fees while Juba government proposed to pay up to $9.10 per barrel.
However, Bashir government rejected the offer claiming that security was a key priority accusing South Sudan of backing the rebels group.
The government of North Sudan has a long tradition of accusing the world's newest nation of supporting rebel movements in both Darfur and South Kordofan to destabilize the Khartoum government.
Both the Darfur and the South Kordofan People fought along side with Sudan Peoples’ Liberation Army (SPLA) during the civil war between north dominated by Muslim and south dominated by Christians.
Mutrif Siddiq, a member of Khartoum’s delegation to talks in the Ethiopian capital told the reporters “we think security is a prerequisite.”
“It is impossible to be done within... nine or 90 days, some issues need more time to be discussed and be resolved,” Siddiq continued. He ruled out that any deal would be reach out before August 2 deadline.
“We couldn't stay idle, the moment, they crossed the border we engaged with them by air force, and now we are engaging with them on the ground,” Siddiq said, calling the incident a “betray” by Juba.
The deal was a “last offer, not a negotiating position”, Pagan Amum said.
“We are left with only nine days to August 2 ... we believe time is over for prolonging lengthy negotiations,” mr. Amum added.
The two sides suspended talks on Saturday as North Sudan warplanes bombarded South Sudan soil.
The Upper Nile Times